Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sunday ---what?

Friday we were told 24 hours.....it is Sunday.  Matthew was up, sitting in a chair, watching tv, and telling me that I needed to go "Have lunch with my co-conspirators."  When I was leaving I told him that I was sorry I had to go, but I needed to go home to Evan and Claire.  He told me, "It's your job."  

He is much improved.  He is also taking in fluids, which include a protein drink.  He has been asking for a lot of fluids. The swelling in his legs has gone down, and his respirations have improved.  He is still tired and needs some help getting around.  Although he is talking, it is very limited, and he is still nonreponsive at times.

  If you still want to visit, you still have some time.  If you still want to write, there is still some time.  Do not wait though, take the opportunity, not one of us knows how much time we have. 

Matthew has lived his entire life on his own terms.  He has never let anybody decide what he should do, how he should act, or pretty much anything else.  It seems that this journey will be the the same.  It will be on his own terms and in his own time.  

Thank you, Thank you, for the continual outpouring of love and support.  

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I piped some water into his mouth and then asked if he wanted more. He said Yes, so I gave him some Ensure Clear. He finished the last couple of drinks that was in the cup and then he asked for more. After checking with Jenny to make sure it was okay, I gave him another half glass. Later I asked if he wanted some ice chips. He said, "yes, but I can't go get them" I told him don't worry about it, I'll go get them. I was so happy he was asking for something I was willing to drive to Sonic to get ice chips. Mom stopped me and told me he wasn't picky and gave me a cup of crushed ice. He seemed very happy to have ice chips and even let me feed them to him by hand. He took breaks due to brain freeze and then eventually was able to munch on the ice by himself. I even got a hug and he putt his hand on my back and petted me to comfort me. It was such a good day. :D

    ReplyDelete