Thursday, February 27, 2014

An Open Letter To Matthew-1

Matthew,

I could see you as an old man...cranky with people, and yelling at kids to "Get off my lawn," but in reality you are a big softy.  There are many things that you have done in your life that inspire me.  You are one of the most selfless people I know (pretty sure it is an inherited trait).

For myself, I remember a time when I was really down.  You asked what was wrong.  I gave you a list of things (most of which you could do nothing about), but also listed that my shoe had broken and I didn't have money for a new pair.  You told me you were sorry you couldn't fix the other things, but then said "But I can get you a new pair of shoes." --And you did....  That was one of many acts....

 There are so many times that you have given when you yourself had so little to give.  You have given people a place to sleep--at times, even your own bed.  When your air was broken, you would let others take the room in your house with the window unit.  You would work 70 hours in a week, and then on your day off go help a friend in need of a favor.  Time after time you gave others everything you had to give...time, money, energy, your shoulder, and the list goes on and on.  There were times we were angry with you because you gave so much.

Your actions were not unnoticed, and I am sorry I never told you how proud I was of you.  You are a wonderful man and a wonderful human being.

Love,
Katie


PS...for the others that are reading this.  My brother is not without flaws :-)  He is cranky and gruff (at times), stubborn, messy, and is rarely seen without a leather jacket --even when it is summer...So please know, that this is not just me putting him on a platform...this is Matthew.

No comments:

Post a Comment