Monday, September 19, 2011

Prayers for Tomorrow

I thought about what I would write in this post several times throughout the day.  Each time I was a bit overwhelmed.  Tomorrow, my baby brother (OK, so he's bigger than me and 32 years old) is having surgery.  A big surgery. 
  • Matthew will have 60% of his liver removed (it is possible to remove up to 75% since it regenerates)
  • He is scheduled to arrive at 5:15 in the morning
  • Surgery is scheduled for approximately 7:30
  • The surgery is expected to take 4-5 hours
  • He will probably be in the hospital for 6 days
If I am overwhelmed, I can't imagine how my parents are feeling, and I can't imagine how he must be feeling.

I spoke with Matthew this afternoon.  I asked him for a song that would characterize how he felt or what he was thinking about the surgery.  He told me to pick a song in another language.  I asked, "How would anybody know what it meant, and how do you know what it means?"  He said, "That's the point.  I don't know what it means, but that pretty much goes with how I feel...I don't know."

So, I decided to pick a song that I thought would characterize the strength and resilience Matthew has shown.  He just keeps going.


I know that he is in the best place he could possibly be for this procedure.  I ask that you keep Matthew in your thoughts and prayers.  I hope to post some good news tomorrow afternoon, although it might be a few days before we truly know how recovery will go.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and prayers....the family is truly grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment